When it comes to easy, cost-effective home upgrade projects, painting remains at the top of the list. A new layer of paint on the wall or on some furniture offers a fresh look and can easily transform your home’s atmosphere. If you ever want to perform a painting job on your home but are not sure how to start, Handyman Connection of Austin can help.
Our expert crews can recommend simple yet effective tips and tricks to make painting easier, as well as make your home colors pop. Start by following these tips:
- Press the Tape against the Baseboard – Painters typically slip masking tape under the baseboard to keep paint from seeping through it. This can be time-consuming, however, and might not be completely effective at creating a seep-proof seal between the carpet and baseboard. To remedy this, press down hard on the carpet while applying the tape. This will hold the carpet down nicely throughout the process.
- Repurpose Your Brushes – All brushes will eventually wear out, no matter how often you clean them. To save money on buying new ones, consider saving brushes of different sizes to repurpose as cleaning brushes. Old paintbrushes can still dust off window trim and clean door panels excellently.
- Cover Entire Windows and Doors – The masking tape you installed can only protect the outside edge of your trim. For more comprehensive protection when painting large areas such as your ceiling, be sure to cover your windows and doors completely.
- Create a Smooth Path along the Ceiling – Creating a straight line along a textured ceiling can be difficult. To avoid bristles getting hung up on the texture, use a 5-in-1 tool or a screwdriver to remove a few inches of texture and create a clear path for the brush.
- Use Paint Primer – Use high-quality primer to make sure your paint will look smooth on the surface. After applying the primer, it’s best to start painting right away to maximize its adhesion features.
- Clean Up Your Mistakes – Regardless of your experience with paint jobs, you can still get paint on something you didn’t mean to. Be sure to keep a can of paint remover on hand to clean up your errors.
Painting your home on your own can be an exciting and rewarding task. If you’d love to seek help from a professional, however, the experts at Handyman Connection of Austin are always ready to handle this project for you. Schedule a free consultation today by calling us or completing our form. We’ll be happy to provide you with only the best results for a professional paint job.